Monday, April 20, 2015

Making a Jacques Cousteau Hat

A dear friend of mine told me that for the summer, she was going to be spending it on a boat doing marine geology. As she is a close friend, I offered to make her the iconic Jacques Cousteau red hat.She loved the idea, so I set about making one for her.

Luckily, there is a pattern on Ravelry --- everything is on Ravelry.

It's a pretty straight-forward pattern, and a lot of folks have made it with a lots of modifications, so it was just a matter of finding what would work for me.

For this hat, I cast on: 110 stitches, for a 22" head. My gauge is 6 stitches in 3x2 rib over 1" (ribbing is relaxed & not stretched out). I wanted it to fit over all of her hair.

I probably could have gone down to 100 stitches without issue given this gauge. The hat fits even with all my hair down. For a guy with close-cut hair, I think 100 would be just fine.

It worked up pretty well. I really liked the decreases.

I made it long enough so I could have a two inch brim.

Overall, a most excellent hat pattern. Now, I just have to mail it off to her.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Finishing a 5-Month Sweater

After more than few months, I finally finished my 3-in-1 Sweater by Atelier Alfa. It's made with Cascade 220 Superwash Sport. It's so soft.  I started this sweater back in October 2014!!!  I remember when I could finish a sweater in under two months, but then again, I used to have a one-hour one-way commute. Now, I have a 15-minute commute and 5-month-sweaters.  I think I can live with the trade-off. (Maybe....)

Of course, now that I've finished said sweater, the weather is gorgeous outside...and WARM....very warm; the type of weather where people wear t-shirts & shorts outside, not sweaters. Ah well.

When I finally bound off everything and wove in all the loose ends, I found that I had a problem. I had absolutely no buttons that would work with this sweater, despite having a fairly large collection of buttons.

I'm sure there must be some a law somewhere that says you will never have the right buttons for your project, despite your overly large button stash.

So, I had to go to the store to get buttons. It's always a chore to decide what type of buttons to get. The store has so many to choose from, but it's a matter of size and availability. I eventually  chose red ones for some contrast, although, admittedly, the red button on red fabric doesn't show up all that well. I thought to put contrasting green one on the red fabric, but I didn't think it looked all that great.

It's a bit longer than I had anticipated (a little past butt length), but I don't mind it. I also lengthened out the sleeves so I could add thumbholes or fold it into a cuff.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I think it'll look great with jeans or some black leggings. Now, I just have to wait for it to get cold again.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

FO Round Up for April - March

I just wanted to post some of the finished objects that I've finished in the past 1.5 months. I've been suppressing my start-itis syndrome by going on a finishing jag.

First my completed tiger socks, using Regia. My cat informs me that the toes needed to be white like his toe socks.

In March, I started a quick project so I can try out a new yarn from Yarn on the House (YOTH) that is a merino, nylon, cashmere blend in DK weight. I bought the skein at Stitches West.

So, I made the Honey cowl from it. I made an intermediary size, casting on 180 stitches.

It's a relatively quick knit, and I love the patterning of the slipped stitches.

The yarn is a mottled / heathered green. And after being blocked, it is rather soft and squishy. It also stood up to being ripped several times over. I really love this yarn.

Sometime in early March, I also finished up a pair of fingerless gloves using Stray Cat Yarn's Electric Avenue. I love the self-striping aspect of her yarns. And yes, I did line up the stripes as much as possible.

Of course, now, that I've finished these projects, I can start a LOT MORE!