- white & black felt
- needle & thread
- stuffing of some sort
- 2 circle cardboard templates (one large, one small)
- a pin
Making the template for the eyes:
The size of your felt eyes depends on exactly how big your fish is and how big you want your eyes. The items I used were:
a) (for the large template) the small end of one of my spinning bobbins.
b) (for the small template) the tape measure I carry around in my knitting kit -- it's one of those plastic tape measures that are rather commonplace at locales like JoAnns
I would have used a compass, if I had one in the house, but you can use anything, really.
1) Cut out the pieces for the white eyeball using your template. You need 1 pair of a small & large circle. (For Blinky, I cut out 3 large & 3 small)
2) Pair up one small & one large circle and pin them together in the center of both circles
3) Take your needle and thread and sew 90% of the edges together. (Obviously, one is bigger than the other so the big circle will fold over "slightly".) You're creating a dome-like shape using these two pieces of felt.
4) Stuff little dome
5) Sew shut.
6) Repeat steps 1-5.
7) Put two eyeballs together along one "edge" and sew those two pieces together
8) Repeat step 7 for the 3rd eyeball.
9) Cut out your black felt irises and sew them onto the white felt. (I did this last because I wasn't sure how the three eyeballs would look after being attached and didn't want Blinky looking cross-eyed.)