The mask was one of the easier parts of this outfit. There are a lot of side and front images for Eartha Kitt as Catwoman. They used the same fabric for the mask as the catsuit, so I would have to do the same.
First, I sketched out a mask using screenshots for reference. I based the mask off my face & eye measurements as compared to photos of Eartha Kitt wearing the mask.
I made 5 different variations, trying each one on my face to see if I captured the look.
I took the winning candidate and transferred the pattern to some Worbla. I had a very good experience using Worbla for my Hawkeye mask and decided to use it again.
I took the mask, used my heat gun to warm it up, then used a bust of myself to mold it to my face.
My intent was to use a spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the Worbla mask. I got out my silicon mat (as glue doesn't stick to it), opened the side door next to the table for ventilation (glue stinks and is not healthy to breath), and started the slow process. I did this a little bit at a time so that I woudn't get any air bubbles in the fabric.
The fabric covered mask isn't much to look at at this stage. However, I want all that excess fabric so I can carefully pull it over the edge of the mask.
At this stage, I've cut off the excess fabric and clipped curves so that I get a nice even finish.
Here's how it looks from the outside. I'm taking it nice and slow.
I forgot to take other photos of the underside, but this is what it looks like. I'm using a fast set super glue to stick the excess fabric to the underside and then trim it down. In addition, I cut out a felt mask from the template and glued it to the underside, starting at the nose then working out towards the tips. (Note: I attached the ties for the mask before finish glue'ing the felt down.)
This is the partially finished mask. At this point, I need to attach the ties.
I used flat elastic cord for the ties. The ties are going to be sandwiched between the Worbla and felt. Here's what I did:
- Added a scrap piece of Worbla to the inside where I would attach the ties. This extra piece is just a bit of added strength.
- I cut a small slit in the felt where I wanted the elastic.
- I super glued to elastic to the Worbla and slipped the rest through the slit.
- Sew'd down the elastic to the felt for added strength.