I decided to forgo making the strap for the bag. I might make another bag *with* a strap, but something that's a little better thought out on my part.
I washed & blocked the bag, and let that dry. Since it's been a little bit cold, it took a bit longer to dry than I had anticipated. In the meantime, I braided two ropes for the closure -- a three plait braid, each plait consisting of 3 strands of yarn of different colors. The first braid had plaits of: (3)white, (3)white, (3)blue. The second braid had plaits of: (3)blue, (3)blue, (3)white.
The inside & outside of the bag (unlined)
Saturday morning, I cut out the lining fabric from some nice gold fabric scraps that I had from a previous sewing project. The lining only took about 15 minutes to whip out, and then it was a matter of attaching it to the knitted bag.
The unattached lining
It took me a bit to handsew the lining into the bag, but then again, I've always been a slow handsewer.
Finished bag with attached lining
I'm inordinately pleased with how it turned out. I still want to "embroider" black noses for the cats, but can't find my embroidery floss. And, yes, there are mistakes in the bag -- tight tight a tension, too loose a tension, and some actual chart mistakes (that frankly, no one is going to notice).
I definitely want to do a bit more colorwork in the future. And considering I still have 3/4ths of a skein of each color, I might make variations of said bag. :-)