A few pattern companies have patterns for bodysuits, but as this item needs to fit me extremely well, I was was a bit worried about having to make multiple mockups from a pattern and have it fit me correctly.
So, I asked a few friends who have specialized in super hero body suit costumes as part of their cosplay, and they gave me excellent suggestions!
- Go to a dance store and buy a bodysuit that fits you. (BLOODY BRILLIANT!)
- Take it apart and use it as your pattern. (AMAZINGLY SMART!)
- Make sure that the bodysuit is a 4-way stretch and that your fabric is also 4-way stretch. (I didn't know this part.) A 4-way stretch fits better to a human form.
Long Sleeve Mock Unitard from Baltog
I bought two on sale -- one black for future use and one a bright fluorescent green that I wouldn't mind taking apart. I bought the green because it was hideously colored and so I could easily see the stitches, which were all done on a serger. So I spent two evenings taking apart the bodysuit with a seam ripper and binge watching the show, Young Justice.
With a bit of care, everything came out well, and I took a few notes on the construction order.
I copied the patterns onto paper so that I could have a master pattern I could use for any bodysuit.
I had made initial drawings of the bodysuit patterning that I wanted to use. I did this for the front and back. Notice the asymmetrical lines? The outfit has a harlequin (NOT Harley Quinn) feel to it.
I traced out all of the colored pieces and added additional seam allowance as needed. (Note: The original pattern already has the seam allowances included. The colored pieces needed seam allowances where it attached to each other.
Once I completed all of the colored bits, I laid them out on the original master pattern to ensure everything lined up correctly.
And now all I have to do is create the bodysuit. I bought enough fabric to make at least two versions, just in case I make a bunch of mistakes on the other one.
And no, the green of my fabric is not the same as the fluorescent green of the original body suit. Now, it's just a matter of cutting out my pattern pieces and do some "swatches" with fabric scraps.