Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ravelympics 2010: Training

As part of the training for Ravelympics 2010, I decided to swatch last night, despite saying previously I might not, because I wanted to see what the *best* size needles to use. The yarn (Cascade 220) recommends the following:
* US 8 for 4.5 st/in
* US 7 for 5 stitches/inch

My gauge?

- US 8 = 4.75 - 5 stitches / inch -- a bit too "loose" of fabric weave for my taste)
- US 7 = 5 - 5.25 stitches / inch -- gave me a better (tighter) weave of fabric.

However, I did run into a slight problem. My US 7s were on my raglan sweater that I am currently knitting and I couldn't find a second pair. UGH! In order to swatch I took off the interchangeable needles off the sweater, then put them back when I was done swatching.

I hurriedly placed an order with Knitpicks (that I had been putting off) to get some new needles. Of course, I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

But, when cast on is called for on Friday, I'll just take off the interchangeables and start my new project. (I'm putting aside the raglan sweater until Ravelympics is over.)

I just hope I can finish the Ravelympics project in 12 days!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment