Friday, March 13, 2015

Lack of Girls in Merchandise

Remember the other day when I was very happy about the new fabrics at Joanns that I had found? Well, I'm not as happy as I was then. I'm still very happy with the Doctor Who fabric, but it's the Big Hero 6 fabric that's leaving me a little cold.

When I first saw this fabric print, I was pleased as punch and got a yard of it. However, I didn't look at it too closely. When I got it home, I noticed something.....

Do you see it?


There are six heroes in Big Hero 6: Baymax, Hiro, GoGo, Wasabi, Honey Lemon, and Fred. There are only four in the fabric print.

If you're familiar with the movie, you can easily see who is missing....the girls -- Go Go and Honey Lemon. Also, if you look closer, Wasabi's coloration in the print doesn't match his character. He looks more Asian.


 
Yeah. I'm not happy about that. It was my mistake to not really look at the fabric.  Disney has a trend of leaving out females in a lot of their merchandising of movies, and apparently, this isn't an exception for this licensed fabric.

Come on...girls LOVE female super heroes and strong female characters in movies. We want to buy these things! It's not just boys who love superheroes. We have purchasing power and the income to make our own decisions. Help us to make you bigger profits!

It's not really that hard, is it?


No comments:

Post a Comment