Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sock Book & Needles

I started going through the book I had purchased at Stitches. (New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One). So far, so good.

She has little "exercises" -- knitting baby socks since they're quick, don't require a lot of yarn, and can generally be useful. I'll probably have more than a few baby socks by the time I'm done. So, any friend who is expecting will probably get baby socks from me. LOL

As part of this exercise, I'm also:
1) trying out the interchangeable knitting set lent to me by [info]amiwithani
2) trying out two circular needles to knit socks

For #2, it took several cast-on tries to actually get the hang of it. The first two times, I fudged, frogged, and started over again. Once I wasn't even knitting in the round. I eventually did it correctly. However, it's taking some getting used to, but I think I like it better than the DPNs. I don't feel like I'm going to poke an eye out.

For #1, I opted for using two pairs of needles: one wood, one nickel-plated (the same size), just so I could get a feel for both sets while making a baby sock.

Nickel-plated: DEFINITELY easier to use on the acrylic yarn. However, there are times it's too "slippery" for my taste and then there are other times when it's really very nice to have the slip. It makes things go faster (subjectively, of course)

Wood: I definitely do like how they feel. I like the fact that the needles have a much more sharpened point than the nickel-plated AND my bamboo ones. It's easier to pick up stitches and the like. Plus, I like the coloration. :-D

Cable: Stays tightly onto the needle, even with me shoving them into my bag for my train commute.

Conclusion: I'll probably buy the wood interchangeable set, and get a few nickel plated ones for the needles I use most just to round things out. Plus, it's definitely easier to figure out which needle you're working on using 2 Circs on socks when the needles are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment