Monday, January 23, 2012

Yeti Hat

Last week, my Coach Yeti asked to commission a beanie hat from me in a steel-grey, after seeing many of the FO photos I've posted in my social networking sites.

As this is my COACH...the man I've had the longest relationship with (over 15 years), there was no way he was commissioning me to knit a hat for him. This was going to be an out-right GIFT to him. He told me his head size (a whopping 7 3/4 hat size = 2XX = 24" circumference)

Luckily for him, I had just recently finished another hat (a tam) and wanted another simple project to work on (in between the sweater). Luckily, I had a ball of yarn the color he wanted that would knit up into a soft squishy hat.

During knitting group this past Saturday, I cast on about 116 stitches (for his large head) -- fully intending to make the the Koolhaas hat by Jared Flood, but after I got 2" into the ribbing, I realized that the ONLY ball of yarn that I had was ONLY 98 yards (50g ball). DOH!

So, I dug around in my Stash and found an even darker grey Cascade 220 in the same weight that was left over from a variety of projects. I changed the Koolhaas idea into Turn a Square (also by Jared Flood)

I would stripe the two different greys together. And to make sure it would fit him, I tried it on DH's head, who only has a 23" circumference head, so if it fit him (a teeny bit loose), it'd fit Coach Yeti.

I finished the hat on the bus to work today and wove in all the ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment