Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Barter System: Trading Craft Supplies

I love bartering. It means that I can trade something to someone for something else that I want. In the crafty world, I had bartered spinning lessons for photography lessons with a certain pink-haired podcaster.

Then few months ago, the Jasmin pinged me about some bobbins that I wasn't using on my Sidekick. She had a Mouse problem with her existing wooden bobbins and she had heard through the grapevine that I was not using my plastic ones. So, we arranged a barter.

I wasn't quite sure what I wanted or needed, but she suggested some fiber from her Stash. I readily agreed, because she has excellent taste and I was willing to take any of her leftovers! She was very generous in trading me four bobbins for some CVM (California Varigated Mutant) and Rambouillet wool -- fibers I had not yet spun. (Frankly, I was a bit surprised at the moment...she had more than fairly traded.)

And of course, I couldn't to try out the CVM with a semi woolen draw on my Ashford Traddy.


It's a beautiful dark chocolatey brown.


And it spins beautifully with a woolen draw.

CVM


Right now, I've spun all 8oz and have begun plying it into a 2-ply DK weight/light worsted yarn. I'll probably dye and use for something...maybe a shawl? a hat? a really warm cowl? I'm not sure yet, but it's lovely and it gives me a chance to spin a completely new fiber than I'm currently used to spinning.

Here's the first skein of the yarn: 301 yards @ 2.875 oz; 2ply; 10-11WPI @ twist angle of 24.5

Untitled

Now, I just have to finish the rest of the skeins, full them, and dye them to some undetermined color.

No comments:

Post a Comment