Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jury Duty Knitting

I recently got called to jury duty, and went through the selection process two days earlier this week. While I think the jury system is an integral part of our legal process, the jury selection process itself is loong, boooring, and tedious.

I spent nearly two days just sitting around and waiting. While waiting in the jury selection room, we could work on our laptops, eat, drink, and generally walk around, but when you got into court? Well, no reading, all electronics MUST be powered off, and no drinking or eating.

Luckily, as a knitter, this could be turned into one long knitting session, which I did, punctuated by a answering emails or trying to do some work on my laptop (during the first day at least). (This was not to say I wasn't bored, but being confined to a single seat for a good 6 hours of a day w/o the option to really leave is...difficult.)

There were a few iffy moments when I was worried I wasn't going to be able to knit. They have you put your bags through an xray machine, and they xrayed my bag twice, but did not ask to search it.

Then at one early point, the baliff/deputy asked to see how sharp my knitting needles were (Knitpicks harmonies), but I did say about as sharp as a pencil. Luckily, he left it at that after feeling the tips.

Despite my complaints about having to go through 2 days of jury selection, I got a lot of knitting done. I had walked into the courthouse with half a body of a sweater.

Amused

I came out with nearly a finished sweater body (I have 2" of ribbing left on the body because I forgot the smaller needles for the ribbing), and 3/4ths of a sleeve. This includes some ripping out of about 2" of sleeve because after trying it on (during a break), I realized that I needed to modify the decreases as the sleeve was a bit too tight.

Amused

Overall, not too shabby.

1 comment:

  1. Im jealous. Here in Md "craft needles" are expressly forbidden. Even plastic crochet and plastic canvas needles. I am here searching for alternatives. Love ur blog.~S

    ReplyDelete