Thursday, March 29, 2012

Granny Squares

A friend of mine (actually, a friend's mom, but who is still a friend) was diagnosed with cancer.

A bunch of friends decided that it would be good for us to get together and put together an afghan for her.

The rules were simple:
  1. Make a 6 inch square from any craft
  2. Make it from a pre-determined list of yarns & colors so that we'd at least be consistent
  3. Make it with love.

So, we ordered the yarn, and started. Some people are knitting, some are crocheting, some are using tunisian crochet, and some are doing a combination thereof.

Granny square blanket
This photo taken during one of our get togethers to see where we were in the process and how much more needed to be made.

I had forgotten how much I really do like knitting granny squares. They're cute colorful projects that take no more than 20 minutes to finish. Here are some of the ones I made:

Granny SquareIMG_0815

IMG_0814Tunisian Crochet

I also took the time to learn some basic tunisian crochet and make a square out of that. And I found that while it is rather a neat method -- it takes a lot longer than just crochet'ing a simple granny square. BUT, tunisian crochet makes for a wonderfully THICK fabric.

Once everyone is done with their squares, we'll get together and sew together this wonderful blanket



I think I might be making more granny squares in the future. Several years ago, I made myself a wonderful granny hexagon blanket, which I love to pieces. I might have to make myself a full granny square blanket.

Hexagon Blanket (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment