This past weekend, I finished up the last skein of the core ply yarn. I think I have about ~100 yards or so of coiled yarn.
To give you an idea, there 5 bobbins of this fiber.
I really really enjoyed spinning this up, but it took *forever* to finish ply a single bobbin. And I had some hiccups with my core snapping.
However, I solved the problem by winding some of the core thread onto a bobbin and letting it dangle while I spun. The bobbin then "unspun" any twist I was adding. It was a nifty way to keep the core from acquiring too much additional twist while spinning.
Now that I've finished the primary project, I've movedonto my secondary project, and spinning the following into to self-striping yarn. Each bump is 1oz of merino fiber. This is the order I am spinning the fiber (in clockwise order starting with the yellow at "noon").
I've broken out each bump into quarters (.25 oz per bump)
I was *originally* planning on core spinning it, but after I laid out all of the fiber in the order I wanted, it just called out to be a striped yarn.
I will navajo-ply it to maintain color-consistency.
(Previous Tour-de-Fleece posts)