Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chinese-esque Robe

As part of my Clockwork Alchemy costume, I had to create a Chinese-esque robe that would work with the leather armor. Again, pictures are worth a thousand words, and help cut back on the amount of writing I have to do :-)

I used some red linen with a inner gold lining.

And I found some matching red trim at JoAnne's Fabrics. I had to go to 2 different stores and ended up with 17-18 yards of trim. I had two requirements for this trim: a) it had to match the fabric b) I had to be able to machine-sew the trim (some trims need to be hand-sewn onto a garment due to its shape.)

IMG_1005

17+ yards of trim was barely enough to line all of the edges.

IMG_0940

I wanted to add Chinese frogs for closures, but I couldn't find anything commercially that would work as most stores only sell black or white frogs. So I opted to make my own using some gold trim we had in our Stash. I found an excellent online tutorial for the frog closure I wanted.

IMG_0970

It was fiddly at first, but I got the hang of it.

IMG_1007
Sufficed to say, I got some nice compliments on the outfit, and it worked really well with the leather armor.