Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Viking Helm for a Viking

It is very difficult to buy gifts for my Viking. This holiday season was no exception. Usually, I ask him flat out what he wanted. This year, he wanted a knitted Viking helm, complete with horns (even though he knows it's not quite historically accurate), but it is quite stereo typical.

We looked through Ravelry and he pointed out what he liked, what he didn't like, and what colors he wanted. I decided to use one Ravelry pattern as the base, making some modifications to it. I picked up some Cascade 220 in the approximate colors he wanted, and got to work.

My plan of attack was to a) knit up a beanie hat; b) knit the band separately; c) crochet the horns to make it denser than knitted fabric. So, here are my modifications to this pattern:

  1. Using SILVER GRAY YARN, do a provisional cast on for 96 stitches and knit the rivet band 
    • Moss stitch 4 rows
    • Knit 4 rows
    • *K7,  make bobble*  - repeat to end
    • Knit 4 rows
    • Moss stitch 4 rows
  2. Using DARK GRAY yarn, then knit until the same height as the band. Fold this band over to make a thick "head" band.
    Untitled
  3.  Slip 11 SG yarn onto waste yarn. 
  4. Knit 1 DG + 1SG together to form one stitch for 37 stitches (96 - 22 = 74 / 2 = 37)  Viking Helm Band
  5. Place 11 silver gray stitches on waste yarn, and knit 1 DG + 1SG together for 37 stitches. You end up with something like this:
    Untitled
  6. Knit hat in dark gray for 5.5" from brim. Then start decreases. 
  7. Pick up the 11 front stitches and knit band separately until it is the length of the hat. 
    • Row 1: p1, k1, p1 k5, p1, k1, p1
    • Row 2: k1, p1, k1 k5, k1, p1, k1
    • Bobble Row: Every 9 rows, insert a bobble in the middle of the bobble band ---- (moss stitch) k2, mB, k2, (moss stitch)
  8. Kitchener stitch the band to the back 11 stitches. 
  9. Sew down the edges band as desired. You get the following looking beanie.

Untitled

Once the hat was finished, I wanted to crochet the horns. I found a pattern on Ravelry, but it was poorly written, so after MUCH frustration, I decided to make my own (which I'll post later). I also knitted a moss-stitch grey band around the bottom of the horn, to simulate how it might be attached to the actual helmet.
Untitled
The Viking also wanted a "broken" horn, so I made that as well.
Untitled

Then it was a matter of sewing it onto the hat.
Untitled