Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Working & Knitting

At my last job, I had a fairly long commute  (minimum of 30 minutes each way) in which I had a lot of knitting time. While I was there, I got numerous sweaters, socks, and other knitted goods done.

When I got my new job, my commute dropped down to 20 minutes (walking) then 12 minutes (riding a bicycle), which was all sorts of awesome. But my shortened commute severely cut into my knitting time and, consequently, the number of finished objects I've been able to accomplish.

However, for the past couple of months, I've discovered new knitting time at work --- the dreaded meeting! I often have meetings that merely require minimal participation on my end, but that do require my attention.


I have found it an excellent source of uninterrupted knitting time where I can knit some mindless things, such as vanilla socks. I tend to have meetings that total at least 6 hours per week.

I usually knit something that is very simple and doesn't take up much room. I tend to knit just under the meeting table as to not distract anyone (so no sweaters or complicated lace). As a result, I've gotten a few simple hats and vanilla socks done! 


My fellow employees are always surprised to find me knitting (as I tend to keep the knitting under the table or from plain view). And everyone pretty much marvels how I can knit and be in the meeting at the same time. I had one manager remark at how amazed that I could knit and hold a discussion at the same time. Of course, every knitter knows that this is pretty much cake and is a good way to keep yourself attentive.

Many ask why I knit in meetings. I often point out that many people aren't paying attention by either working on their laptops or reading their phones. At least, I pay attention while knitting, which they can't dispute. And no one ever challenges me or asks me to stop. In fact, most of the managers and other bosses find it awesome. :-)

It's nice to find some dedicated knitting time during the day. While I don't like meetings (who doesn't), I tend to not dread the boredom anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment