Thursday, March 7, 2013

Measuring Up

On the weekend, I found myself with some extra time on my hands, so I opted to make a different type of bag. (And, I realized that I hadn't blogged about it, so here goes!)

I found some nifty ruler fabric at Joanns that was 50% off with a coupon. I bought half a yard. They also had a Simplicity pattern that I wanted to try. (It was $1.99).  In particular, I wanted to try their sundry bag pattern (lower right hand patterns-  C&D on the pattern)



I used an iron-on interfacing to make the fabric stiffer.


And cut out the lining using the smaller version of the pattern

The pattern instructions itself were decent. However, sewing those weird cut-outs proved fiddly. But, after everything was said and done, the store bought pattern is simply my Ditty bag tutorial -- with two bag ends and a zipper in the middle (instead of a drawstring).

The weird wedge square pattern piece were essentially the "sewn triangles" (Step 3 of the  Ditty Bag tutorial) except they were already cut out. It would have been easier to just sew the triangles and cut them off later, than try to sew those wedges together.

The smaller size is about that of a pencil case.



I think I'll forgo the pattern next time and just use my tutorial with modifications. However, as the pattern was only $1.99, I didn't waste much. However, for those who want to work with patterns, this isn't a bad one. I just happen to think my way is easier.