Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Satisfying Your Inner Crafter -- Project Bags

One can never have too many bags, or at least that's what I tell myself. Project bags are useful for putting in all of those Start-itis projects (not that I know anything about THAT....). Once you get the hang of it, making project bags takes less than 20 minutes of your time, which provides any maker with that overwhelming sense of satisfaction of a completed project that produces a very useful product.

Plus, project bags are nifty gifts for my other crafty friends so I can make a slew of these to give away or to use as reusable gift bags.

So, with my half a yard fun sheep fabric (that made me very happy), I was only too glad to make more. Luckily, half a yard of fabric is enough to make two bags: one small (enough for a pair of socks) and a larger one (enough for a sweater).

Using my instructions to make a ditty bag, I made a small one -- enough for a pair of socks.


And then onto the bigger one. But for the bigger one, I wanted to add a handle. I didn't have any strap material, so I decided to make one, using some thick twill tape that I had in my sewing supplies. Because twill tape doesn't stretch, it's perfect for a handle. I sewed some of the sheep fabric over the twill tape to make it more decorative. (I'll post instructions on how to do make your own handle, later)

And viola! A ditty bag with a handle --- big enough to hold a sweater.



I love project bags. They're a nice quick way to use a small amount of fabric with very little waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment