Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sewing up a Pajama-jam!

With all the sewing I did for the Goblin Ball, you'd think I'd be done with sewing for a while, but apparently not!

Several weeks ago, I was looking for some fun pajama bottoms at various stores, and didn't find anything to my liking. But, when I was perusing JoAnn's looking for lining fabric for my ballgown, I discovered that they were having a 60% off sale on their cotton flannels. So with the coming of winter, I thought to make myself some flannel jammies.

It's not very often that I sew more utilitarian clothing, but I thought, "What the heck?!?" Plus, they were having their $0.99 sale on McCall's patterns and I found this pattern. (I opted to make the long pajama bottoms.)


Between their sale on flannel and their patterns, I felt the Universe was trying to tell me to go ahead and make pajamas. So, I picked up a traditional plaid.


But I wanted to have some FUN sewing. I found these nifty fabrics as well. They suit my taste. I can even forgive the pink in the skull & crossbones fabric.



(I really love the monsters one!)

I washed all of the fabric in hot water to help pre-shrink and pre-soften the fabric. (Cotton gets softer with washing. And flannel tends to shrink.) Then, I started sewing.

The pattern was fairly easy to follow, and took very little time to make. Once all of the fabric was cut, it only took an hour to assemble each pajama bottom. The only change I made to the patterns was to shorten the legs a bit to fit me. Otherwise, I used the pattern "as-is". Heck, I didn't even bother with a mockup! (I'm living on the edge...I know. LOL.)

However, I did serge all the edges of the cut fabric as flannel tends to fray quite a bit.


And comfy jammies are the result.

I probably spent more time shoo'ing the kittens off the fabric as they tried to "help" me cut the fabric or pinning things together. (Apparently, they love laying on flannel -- or any other fabric for that matter!)

I think I'm set for winter. (Not to mention the Pajama-Jam-Jam at Purlescence Yarns....)


No comments:

Post a Comment