Friday, July 11, 2014

Sewing with Cats

When you have cats, sewing is an interesting challenge. They are curious by nature and want to see what you're doing. And my cats like being around me when I'm doing stuff. They just like hanging out with me, which I appreciate. However, there are times when that can get a little bit of a nuisance, especially when I'm working on a project.

Sometimes, they want to lie on top of my project.

“Cats can work out mathematically
 the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” 
― Pam Brown

And sometimes, they want to be under my project.

“Never try to outstubborn a cat.” 
― Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Or take a nap in the most inopportune moments and places.

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many different ailments, 
but I have never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
Joseph Wood Krutch

Fortunately, they are really cute.

"Everything that moves serves to amuse them. 
They believe that all nature is occupied with their diversion"
- Moncriff 

I've pretty much grown to accept the fact that I usually have to work around a cat. Often times, moving a tail or paw out of the way.

“Time spent with a cat is never wasted.” 
― Colette

I do still try to keep them to about 20% of the table, so I can use the other 80% to craft & sew. The use of my chair is another thing entirely. Luckily, I have multiple chairs.

“Cats randomly refuse to follow orders to prove they can.” 
― Ilona Andrews, Magic Strikes

It's okay, however, because they keep me company and remind me to stop every now and then to pet one.
“What greater gift than the love of a cat.” 
― Charles Dickens

Because they are so darn cute.
"You can't look at a sleeping cat and feel tense"

Sometimes, you just have to learn to work with what you got. :-)